Frequently asked questions
Below are the most frequently asked questions about Gallery of Mo. If you want to ask a different question you can contact us here.
About The Gallery of Mo
- Who is behind the project?
- Gallery of Mo was created, built and hosted by twentysix, a full service digital agency based in Leeds. The time and costs were donated by twentysix and all proceeds raised by the site go directly to Movember. Find out more about twentysix here.
- What is movember?
- Movember (the month formerly known as November) is a moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for prostate cancer and testicular cancer. At the start of Movember guys register with a clean shaven face. The Movember participants, known as Mo Bros, have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their Mo, raising money along the way to benefit men's health. Find out more here
- Is movember a registered charity?
- Movember Europe is a registered charity in England and Wales (1137948) and Scotland (SC041981).
- How much of the donation money is given to charity?
- Every penny raised by Gallery of Mo is given to Movember - the website build, artists and hosting costs are all donated for free.
- Where does the money go?
- Funds raised through the Movember UK campaign go to Movember Europe which is a private company limited by guarantee in England and Wales (company no. 7275694) and a registered charity in England and Wales (charity no. 1137948) and in Scotland (charity no. SC041981). The net funds are committed to programmes supporting prostate cancer and testicular cancer initiatives run by Movember and through our men's health partners Prostate Cancer UK and the Institute of Cancer Research.
Ordering a portrait
- How much of a picture do I get for every £1 donated?
- This depends on the artist and how fast they work. However, if you only pay a small amount you are not likely to get back a portrait of just an ear or some hair - our artists will endeavour to get as much of your face in as possible in the time, it just might not be very detailed! Of course, paying for more time will ensure that you have a much better portrait.
- Can I order a portrait of my partner/child/dog?
- You can order a portrait of anyone you wish as long as it is clear in the photo provided who the subject of the portrait is. Our artists will have a go at drawing anything, from dogs and cats to mice and horses, but please bear in mind that they have signed up to this site because they are primarily good at drawing people so the quality of animal portrait might vary considerably!
- How many people can be in the photo?
- Ideally one, but as long as the subject of the portrait is obviously the primary focus of the photograph then it shouldn't matter too much.
- How long will it take for me to receive my portrait?
- All our artists have volunteered to work on Gallery of Mo in their free time, so we can't guarantee a quick turnaround for everyone (although many of our artists will endeavour to complete the portrait within 48 hours). If you haven't heard anything for two weeks then please get back in touch with us here.
- Can I request how I want to look?
- No, that's part of the fun and entirely up to the artist!
- Does it have to have a moustache on?
- Yes, every portrait – be it man, woman, child or pet - will have a moustache added. Gallery of Mo is a supporter of Movember and was conceived purely around the idea of drawing portraits of people with moustaches!
- What if I already have a moustache?
- Our artists reserve the right to embellish it in a way that matches their artistic vision.
- What if I have a beard?
As Gallery of Mo is all about the 'tache our artists reserve the right to downplay the beard and big up the mo, relegating your usual facial hair to "stylish stubble".
- Who decides how much the donation amount needs to be for commissioned artists?
The artists themselves set their minimum donation limit, since they know how much work goes into a single portrait.
- Are the artists for the £1 a minute the same as the artists we can commission?
All artists who volunteer are asked if they want to take part in the £1 a minute or be commissioned specifically.
Many of our artists have chosen to do both, so you could have an artist who will do you a portrait for a £50 minimum donation working on a £1 a minute portrait for you.
Please bear in mind, though, that this artist will still only work for the donated number of minutes (i.e. £5 = 5 minutes), whereas all commissioned portraits are worked on until they are finished.
- Is there a limit to how many portraits I can have?
No, feel free to get as many different portraits done as you want.
- Are all the portraits done by hand?
Our artists use a number of different mediums to complete their portraits, including both digital and non-digital means. However the finished article will always be saved in JPG format for you to download.
Paying for a portrait
- How secure is the payment method?
- Very secure; it is secured by VeriSign and operated by Nat West. Secure pages on the website are prefixed by https://
- What happens if I donate less than the chosen artist's minimum donation amount?
- If you commission an artist you have to meet their minimum donation amount before they will do you a portrait.
We will remind you of this several times before you actually donate, but if you put in less than the minimum amount then the artist will not be able to produce your portrait. Any money you have paid will just be accepted as a donation to Movember.
Receiving a portrait
- What if I don’t like my portrait?
- o We're sorry if you don't like your portrait but unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it; the nature of Gallery of Mo means that there is always an element of luck in getting a portrait that you like and that's what makes it so exciting!
- Can I get it tweaked / changed?
No, any portraits produced are deemed complete and cannot be amended afterwards.
- Can I download my portrait?
Yes, clicking on the small portrait thumbnail will open a larger image that can be downloaded through the link supplied. The image will be at 707 pixels by 1000 pixels. You can then do whatever you want with it.
- Can I order a print?
Not this year, although this is something we may include in the future.
- Can I get a high-res version of my portrait?
No, the downloaded portrait will be at 707 pixels by 1000 pixels and is not available in any larger sizes through the site.
- Can I use the portrait as my Facebook/twitter photo?
You are free to do whatever you want with the finished portrait.
- Will I be able to share a direct link to my photo?
Becoming an portrait
- How can I get involved in Gallery of Mo?
- You can drop us a line here if you want to be considered as an artist – we'll be recruiting up until the end of November.
Need more help?
If you still have a question please feel free to Send us an e-mail
Send us an email